THE AUCTION IS NOW CLOSED. Thanks to everyone who's contributed!
What is this? Live Long And Marry is a fandom auction to benefit marriage equality. Bidding begins on July 1, 12:01 AM one minute after midnight Pacific Time, 2008, and closes on July 15, 12:01 AM one minute after midnight Pacific Time, 2008. Please do not bid until bidding opens.
What's the cause? The auction will raise money for the fight against the California initiative which will legally destroy existing same-sex marriages and ban any further ones. If the initiative passes, it will write discrimination into the state constitution, annull existing marriages, and make Mr. Sulu cry.
How can I help? You can bid on fanfic, original fic, vids, cookies, memorabilia, critique/betas, and much more! Or you can offer your skills and services as a writer, vidder, baker, knitter, or whatever else you'd like.
How do I bid?
1. The tag lists at the right of the main page, also to be found here, list everyone who is offering under "seller," the types of services and items under "offered," and the fandoms sorted by media (tv, movie, etc.)
2. Comment to an offered post with the amount of money you wish to bid, plus what you're bidding on if more than one service or item is offered. If someone else raises the bid in a reply to your comment, bid again by replying to their reply with a higher offer. This will continue until the auction closes and the highest bid wins.
3. There is also a "buy now" option. "Buy now" can be exercised with the first bid on an auction. Once "Buy It Now" has been exercised, further bidding will not be allowed.
How do I pay? Make a donation to Equality For All, Marriage Equality USA, Equality California, or your preferred organization or coalition fighting for marriage equality. Once you have done so, comment to the post you bid on to confirm it, and so we will be able to add up donations and let you all know how much money was raised. This is on the honor system, and we trust you to be honorable.
How do we contact each other after a winning auction?
Winning bidder: Please reply to the original post with contact info. To preserve your privacy, you may delete the post after it's made. Sellers: Please turn on comment notifications until you have heard from your bidder. If this doesn't work for you, please contact the mods and we will put you in touch with the relevant parties.
How do I offer an item or service? 1. Join the community via the user info page.
2. Make a properly tagged and headlined post. You can find the full list of tags here. Please check the format of the tags before making up your own. Standardized tags help people find your offer.
3. Tags must include your name (a pseudonym or LJ handle is fine), what you're offering (ie, fic, vids, baked goods), and what fandoms you're offering (if relevant).
These tags must be standardized as much as possible so bidders will easily be able to search for what they want. Please write your tags as set below. That is, tag as "fanfic," not "fic."
Tags for offerings must be as follows: offered: fanfic, offered: original fic, offered: vid, offered: food, offered: fanart, offered: original art, offered: clothing, offered: jewelry, offered: critique, offered: poetry, offered: music, offered: misc items, offered: misc services.
Please tag your original post with SEPARATE TAGS for the media (see above) and the fandom if applicable (see below).
We realize that many fandoms have more than one name. We are categorizing them by media to minimize confusion without driving ourselves insane by trying to standardize the names of a billion shows. For example, tv: supernatural; anime or manga: saiyuki; rps: david archuleta/david cook.
Tags for fandoms must begin as follows: tv, movie, rps, book, comic, anime or manga, other.
We realize that some fandoms exist in multiple forms. If you want to list, say, both the James Bond movies and the James Bond books, please do so as follows: Movie: Bond movies, Movie: Casino Royale, Books: James Bond.
Please forgive our limitations and do your best with the tag system.
Headline: Offered: Fanfic
Offer: I will write fanfic of no less than 1000 words in the following fandoms: Supernatural, Gundam Wing, Swordspoint. I don't do Wincest or non-con, but am comfortable writing gen or shippy or pron, as you wish. I am also probably willing to write in any fandom I'm familiar with, but email me first if you want to make a special request.
Contact: My email is in my user info.
Delivery: I will have your story written by November 1.
What if I don't have an LJ account? You can still bid by manually signing your name and some sort of contact info. Selling will be more difficult. If you don't want to get a free LJ account for this purpose, please email the mods and we'll figure something out.
I have a question, suggestion, or complaint. Please contact the mods, rachelmanija and lady_ganesh through LJ messaging or email ladyganesh at gmail dot com or rphoenix2 at gmail dot com.